General Discussion Without All The Extra

Kyng
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: Will technology fully take our Jobs?

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:37 am

I highly doubt it. Even if we get over all of the technological hurdles, there are certain areas where a customer is always going to prefer the work done by humans. Many areas of entertainment fall into this category: for example, I enjoy watching sports, but it loses its attraction once the human element is taken away and the players are replaced by AIs, even if those AIs can play the sport at a level far superior to the top human players. Ultimately, a football match between two teams of AIs would amount to little more than a technology demo: it would be amazing the first time I saw it, but after seeing two or three it would become 'normal'. It's a similar story with art: the sense of awe at the imagination of our most creative human beings has much more staying power than the sense of awe at the output of some computer algorithm, even a highly sophisticated one. 

Of course, we can't all be sportspeople or artists, and a great many of our jobs can be taken over by robots one day. At this point, I can see people's working hours being progressively cut, and their income being correspondingly reduced. However, with labour costs being so much lower, I'd also expect prices to be lowered for everything across the board. Furthermore, with these robots generating so much wealth themselves, perhaps the Universal Basic Income would become an economically viable policy at this point, so that even those who don't have jobs wouldn't be living in poverty. 

The Coffee House - Your Daily Dose of Caffeine!

gAMER

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:39 am

I strongly believe that eventually automation or AI robotics is going to eat away a major part of our job opportunities.  There will be a complete eradication of middle and junior/staff level positions as physical labor is no more required.  When a single robot can do the work of hundreds or thousands of employees error-free why should companies go for hiring humans! It already started showing its grim face in our country; a lot of employees are being  thrown out of jobs daily due to indiscriminate automation of jobs  employing robots. 

Some people are of the opinion that while some people lose jobs some others are also getting jobs in technology field.  But it is never to the same extend of elimination of job opportunities.  It finally destroys the purchasing power of families and when there will be no consumers in the market it will hit back to the profit margin of industries. 

Lazy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:56 am

Politicians can be fired from their jobs, at least in the US, if they don't provide jobs.  On top of that fact, one must note that over 50 percent of the US population does not have a college degree - and many others have one that isn't good for jobs.  However, the whole US population can still vote.

Crypto

Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:32 am

I can't say much here but there will always be some sort of demand for physical work by humans. If things do take more of an automated path than what it already is then there may be a spike in the need for engineers to not only produce the automation technology but to also fix it and service it when needed. Most people tend to worry about how they would get paid if something of the sort was to happen, this is where a Universal Basic Income or some of the sort would happen.

pwarbi

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:33 am

Technology is already replacing people in some industries, and I can only see that trend continuing in the future. You only have to look at manufacturing for example to see that a lot of the process is now done by a machine whereas in the past it was done manually.

I'm not sure that technology will one day replace EVERY job role, but the need for skilled manual labour is becoming less than what we have ever seen before. Where technology is taking some jobs though, it means that there is more job opportunities in other sectors such as I.T so it's not all bad.

Lazy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:23 am

Some technology, at least now, kind of sucks.  For instance, look at article rewriting software.  It's obviously dumb or writers would be put out of business by now.  Nonetheless, the scary thing is that it could change.  However, I think people want the "human touch" in writing.

Princess MeowsePad

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:57 pm

There are many jobs that rely on critical thinking, high-level cognitive function, and problem-solving that simply cannot be done by a machine. Some examples of this are management, teaching, and policing.

peachpurple

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Yes, I agree that robots and automation will take away humans jobs one of these days, people will be jobless and crime rates will rise and poverty starts to mushroom here and there where humans suffer.

I love blogging at Literacybase and Hubpages

Juneberry

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:09 am

I'm an editor, and so I often worry about software stealing my job completely (not that U get paid much yet for it anyway). Things like Grammarly, for example: When I see ads for it, I always get a sense of dread. Will it steal my work from me?

That said, thanks to the horrors of autocorrect, I think my job is overall secure. There are some things spellcheck and such will not catch that I will. And I'm sure for other jobs, there are things humans catch that machines won't always notice. I'm not going to give up hope that they won't take over completely.

Hissae2

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:48 pm

I expect that over time we will continue going in the direction we are already going, and more and more jobs will become automated by technology. Businesses will do whatever is cheapest and if paying for technology is cheaper than paying wages, then there's no doubt that is what they will do.

However, I don't think ALL jobs will become automated. Technology can only do what humans program it to do, and can not think for itself. Whether or not artificial intelligence will get to the point where robots can do everything humans can do is something that humans can do is something that computer scientists disagree on, but personally, I think there will always be some things that computers can not do, because computers can not think for themselves and do not feel emotion. 

For that reason, I don't think it will ever be possible for computers to take all jobs.